Senior Associate Commissioner - Governance and Legal Affairs/SWA
Big West Conference
This position will lead the Big West's existing governance and compliance staff, serve as an advisor for institutions on NCAA regulatory matters, maintain and improve upon Conference-wide efforts to fulfill Big West and NCAA compliance expectations, provide advice and counsel to the Commissioner, and serve as the Conference's internal legal counsel.
1. Serve as Big West legal counsel. Monitor NCAA and other governance rules, as well as county, state, and national laws relevant to the Big West Conference, and its member institutions. Review all proposed contracts/agreements and provide ongoing counsel relative to their execution.
2. Serve as lead liaison to the institutional Senior Woman Administrators leadership group.
3. Develop, implement and maintain a comprehensive and effective athletic compliance program that will monitor, interpret, analyze, and evaluate all compliance-related activities of the Conference and its member institutions.
Directly manage and supervise all compliance operations and functions, including: planning, program evaluation, policy implementation, rules interpretations, rules education, external representation, and policies for specific sports.
Conduct continuing rules education sessions with member institutions and periodic on-campus compliance evaluations. Manage and train staff to serve as Conference resource for questions regarding application and interpretation of NCAA and Conference rules.
Develop short and long-term planning for the Big West compliance program as part of a strategic plan for the Big West Conference.
Provide internal and external communications training to designated staff on athletic compliance and NCAA rules matters.
Serve as lead contact from the Conference, assisting the NCAA with investigations of all possible and alleged violations by Conference or its member institutions of NCAA and Conference rules and regulations.
4. Develop opportunities to expand student-athletes’ voices within the Big West governance structure and lead efforts toward providing the best in student-athlete well-being and safety.
5. Develop, implement and enforce a comprehensive sportsmanship program to assist Big West member institutions and student-athletes in providing safe, fair, and equitable competition. Serve as lead staff contact on sportsmanship issues working with sport administrators, coordinators of officials, and institutional personnel.
6. Serve as Conference spokesperson and liaison to member institutions relative to the Big West Conference constitution and bylaws. Provide ongoing review and counsel regarding such constitution and bylaws, governance structure, committee roles, structure and purpose.
7. Work with the commissioner and the NCAA staff to provide a strong presence and leadership from the Conference within the NCAA governance system.
8. Serve as a liaison to the Big West Board of Directors, directors of athletics, senior woman administrators, faculty athletic representatives, compliance directors and academic advisors.
9. Foster within the Big West Conference, a culture that promotes honesty, integrity, and ethical behavior.
10. Work with the NCAA to administer the background check program for game officials.
11. Assist with planning/coordination of governance meetings and annual fall and spring meetings of Council and Board of Directors.
12. Championship and sport responsibilities may be assigned based on experience and interest.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
J.D. plus 3 years of related experience
- Experience dealing with a conference or national governing body compliance program and rules/regulatory issues.
- Proven success in the implementation/management of an athletic compliance or related program.
- Experience investigating violations of NCAA and/or conference rules and regulations or related rule and regulations.
- Working knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills to communicate and deal effectively with people at all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated strong planning and critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Experience working with compliance software in use by our institutions (e.g., Jump Forward, etc.)
JOB APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Applicants should submit, as one pdf file, (1) a resume, (2) letter of application that specifically addresses the above required qualifications and responsibilities, and (3) a listing of four current references, including name, title, address, telephone numbers and email address. Submissions should be emailed directly to Jeff Schemmel, President, College Sports Solutions, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, all application materials must be submitted electronically in PDF format.
Applications and inquiries will be treated in strictest confidence. Confidential review and screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Complete applications should be received no later than February 1, 2021 for full consideration. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Final offer of employment is contingent on a successful background check.
Inquiries and nominations should be forwarded to: Jeff Schemmel, President, College Sports Solutions, email@example.com.
Copyright © 2021 College Sports Solutions, LLC