Conference Commissioner, Big Sky
About the Big Sky Conference:
Founded in 1963, the Big Sky Conference spans through eight states. The conference sponsors championships in 16 sports, nine women’s and seven men’s, with approximately 4,500 student-athletes. The conference has 11 full members and four affiliate members (two football and two men’s golf). Big Sky full members include Eastern Washington University, University of Idaho, Idaho State University, University of Montana, Montana State University, Northern Arizona University, University of Northern Colorado, Portland State University, Sacramento State University, Southern Utah University and Weber State University. The two football affiliate members are University of California, Davis and California Polytechnic State University while the men’s two golf affiliates are Binghamton University and the University of Hartford.
The Commissioner shall be the Chief Administrative Officer and Executive Officer of the Conference. The Commissioner will report to the Presidents’ Council and work with the Conference Council to advance the mission and strategies of the conference.
- Oversee the daily operations of the Big Sky Conference office.
- Manage a diverse staff, both internal and external, and officiating coordinators.
- Track and evaluate student-athlete experiences as it relates to safety, wellness and fairness.
- Provide vision, leadership and sound decision-making with regard to all association matters including but not limited to fiscal affairs, media rights, personnel, strategic planning, branding, conference alignment and external relationships.
- Develop and implement the annual conference budget.
- Negotiate media rights agreements.
- Execute the strategic plan as developed by member institutions.
- Implement policies and legislation as set forth by the conference governance groups.
- Serve as the spokesperson for the conference.
- Serve as primary liaison to conference legal and litigation matters.
- Conduct annual business meetings as prescribed in the Big Sky Code.
- Evaluate sportslike conduct issues and determine appropriate penalties as prescribed in the Big Sky code.
- Oversee the interpretation of conference and NCAA rules regarding eligibility, legislation and regulations.
- Perform other duties as directed by conference member institutions.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s or beyond degree preferred.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the rules and bylaws of the NCAA.
- Substantial experience in collegiate athletics administration.
- Experience and strong skills in financial management.
- Demonstrated leadership
- Reputation of maintaining integrity
- Strong work ethic.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to build consensus.
- Working knowledge of television and multimedia platforms.
To apply for the position please submit your cover letter, resume, and 4 references via e-mail to:
Mr. Jeff Schemmel
College Sports Solutions
Subject: Big Sky
For full consideration, application materials should be submitted to Mr. Schemmel by September 25th and will be accepted until the position is filled. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. For additional information, please contact Mr. Schemmel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Copyright © 2018 College Sports Solutions, LLC